A recent study into sustainable travel revealed that 66% of travelers want to have authentic experiences representative of the local culture*. Tourism Fiji is tapping into this growing consumer desire for meaningful travel that creates a connection to culture and communities.
Fiji’s Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Tourism and Civil Aviation, Hon. Viliame Gavoka says “It makes me immensely proud to share what makes us special with the world. The pandemic was hard on Fiji but to see the spirit of our nation – the warmth, joy and natural hospitality – shine through in our new brand just reinforces what a special nation we are. I’m hugely grateful to our entire industry for the dedication they have shown, and to Tourism Fiji and our agency partners for capturing our people and paradise so beautifully”.
“This new campaign and platform is a milestone for brand Fiji” Chair of the Tourism Fiji Board Andre Viljoen says, “it allows Fiji and our people to be front and centre, and I think it truly celebrates where we are now and how far we’ve come post-pandemic. I’m looking forward to welcoming even more wonderful visitors to Fiji off the back of this campaign”.
Tourism Fiji Chief Executive Officer, Brent Hill adds, “For over a decade our tourism brand platform, ‘Where Happiness Finds You’ has attracted people from all over the world.
“During the peak of the pandemic, visitor numbers fell to almost 30,000 annually. As our borders closed, the people of Fiji showed that they are so much more than just a friendly face. Resilience, resourcefulness, entrepreneurialism, and a strong sense of community got Fiji through when our tourist numbers were decimated. Our visitor numbers have since been steadily growing, reaching 102.5% of pre-pandemic numbers in December 2022**.
“With short booking windows becoming the norm***, and travellers increasingly booking trips 0-21 days from travel, we wanted to roll out ‘Where happiness comes naturally’ to capture that demand, and welcome even more visitors back to Fiji in 2023, showing them a side of the country that they may not have experienced. We are a small island nation with a lot of happiness to offer, and this new brand platform showcases the rich and diverse cultures and traditions that exist within Fiji at their most authentic.”
As part of the brand evolution, Tourism Fiji has announced five new travel pillars that it will develop and promote to tourists; Natural Environment, Adventurous Experiences, Community Connections, Recharge and Reconnect, and Food and Drink. These demonstrate a core range of authentic experiences visitors can have in Fiji, such as:
- Natural Environment – explore the wonders of Fiji that have formed over thousands of years and connect with nature; Talanoa Treks’ 2 – 5-night hikes let people discover a different side to Fiji only accessible on foot.
- Adventurous Experiences – for those seeking adrenaline-filled drift adventures, experience the Rainbow Reef – an underwater paradise discovered by Jacques Cousteau and known as the soft coral capital of the world.
- Community Connections – take part in a traditional Kava drinking ceremony which dates to 3 millennia ago. The botanical marvel has been used in Fiji as a form of welcome at traditional social gatherings, and in cultural and religious ceremonies.
- Recharge & Reconnect – soothe the soul with a dip in the Sabeto Mud Pool and Hot Springs. The therapeutic experience offers a natural remedy to help replenish the mind, body, and spirit.
- Food & Drink – splurge on a personalised chef experience at luxury resort Kokomo with local female Head Chef, Caroline Oakley, renowned for her ‘cooking with heart and soul’ approach to food.
The roll out also includes a new logo which fuses modern and bold typography with the traditional Fijian art form of masi. It has been designed by Tourism Fiji’s global agency Host/Havas, in collaboration with, third generation masi artist, Wati Maraiwai Talavutu. She comments: “Being given the opportunity to create a new logo that celebrates our heritage and showcases our traditions to the world has been an incredible experience. I’m proud to be a part of this new campaign that honours the rich and diverse cultures and traditions that exist within Fiji.”
Rather than using traditional commercial travel photographers to showcase the new brand platform, Tourism Fiji opted to capture their vibrant Fijian spirit more authentically using renowned National Geographic photographer Matthieu Paley.