The Blue Swan Daily, 18 December 2019 – CAPA – Centre for Aviation, in a report entitled: ‘South Pacific Outlook 2020: New long haul opportunities beckon for South Pacific airlines’, stated (06-Dec-2019) major themes for the airlines of the Pacific Island nations are fleet renewal and infrastructure development. South Pacific based airlines have placed orders for new generation aircraft types that may open new market opportunities. Details include:
- Air Vanuatu ordered four A220s, scheduled to arrive in Jun-2020;
- Air Kiribati scheduled to receive two Embraer E190s in Dec-2019 and Apr-2020;
- Aircalin commenced replacement of its Airbus fleet;
- Air Niugini has four Boeing 737 MAX scheduled for delivery in 2H2020;
- Air Tahiti Nui completed its fleet renewal;
- Fiji Airways received an A350 in Nov-2019 and Dec-2019, with five Boeing 737 MAXs to replace Boeing 737NG.