- This event has passed.
Pacific Islands Tourism Professional Fellows Program-Fall 2019
7 October - 15 November
In February 2019, the East-West Center’s Pacific Islands Development Program (PIDP) announced that applications were being accepted for the Fall Cohort of the Pacific Islands Tourism Professional Fellows Program in 2019.
Applications closed on MARCH 30, 2019.
The East-West Center’s Pacific Islands Development Program (PIDP), in cooperation with the Professional Fellows Division in the Office of Citizen Exchanges at the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, conducts the Pacific Islands Tourism Professional Fellows Program. This program will bring two cohorts of tourism industry professionals from the Pacific Islands to Honolulu, Hawai‘i for intensive six-week programs that build significant new capacity and facilitate enduring professional bonds between industry leaders in the United States and the Pacific Islands.
The Pacific Islands Tourism Professional Fellows Program draws broadly and deeply upon Hawaii’s unique position as an American state with one of the world’s premier tourism industries. It is designed to build capacity across the Pacific region by creating strong and enduring connections between 32 mid-level Professional Fellows from 13 Pacific island countries and no fewer than 13 Hawaii-based Americans in private and public tourism-related organizations.
Fall 2019 Cohort
- October 7 – November 9, 2019 Activities/Placement in Honolulu, Hawai‘i
- November 10 – 12, 2019 Activities in Washington, DC
- November 13 – 15, 2019 Professional Fellows Congress in Washington, DC
- Be citizens/nationals of one of the eligible countries (dual U.S. citizens are NOT eligible to apply)
- Be between the ages of 25-40
- Be currently employed in their home country (or in one of the other eligible countries) and have a demonstrated history of at least 2 years of employment in the tourism industry
- Be willing and able to obtain a J-1 visa and spend 6-weeks in the United States
- Be committed to returning to their home country after the program
- Have a track record of making an impact in their organziation, company, or community
- Be capable of creating an action-orientated plan to address a specific business problem or policy challenge being faced in their country
- Have sufficient spoken and written English language proficiency to effectively function in an American workplace.
Applications will be accepted from the following Pacific Islands countries:
- Federated States of Micronesia
- Marshall Islands
- Papua New Guinea
- Solomon Islands
- Timor Leste
Pacific Islands Development Program
East-West Center – pfp@EastWestCenter.org
Honolulu, HI 96848-1601 USA
Phone: +1.808.944.7778 – Fax: +1.808.944.7670
The Professional Fellows Program strongly encourages people living with disabilities to apply for the program.